The question surrounding (literally surrounding....like taking-over-every-thought-of-Boon's-being surrounding) us these days is whether or not we should take the plunge and buy a boat. Your thoughts?
So here are a few things to consider:
First, we both love the lake and really really really want a boat. It would be a blast and I wouldn't mind sprucing up my wakeboarding skills a bit. Plus, the summers here are brutal and I can't stand being outside when it is 100+ degrees [read: I'm a wuss! Fainting, dizziness, moodiness...I have them all when I get too hot. Remember I'm from Wyoming - I have a good excuse] unless I'm in (or by) the water. So all of that sounds good, but then money/logic set-in and now we also have to consider all of this....
Boats are super expensive - even used boats! And considering I'm rather cheap and have the worst buyer's remorse ever, I just can't imagine throwing $30K in for "fun" - it seems like soooooo much money! Also, I've heard that the best days of a boat-owner's life are the day he buys the boat and the day he sells the boat....so what are we missing here? Maintenance? Gas? Storage? Insurance? Winterizing? It all adds up so are the "really really really want a boat" and "can't stand the heat unless I'm in the water" excuses worth the expense?
Also, we THINK we will use it all the time, and therefore, get our money's worth, but every summer our weekends feel up faster than we even know it so I'm scared the boat will end up sitting in storage more than in the water. Of course, I'd hope that isn't the case, but you hear a lot of people say that they just don't use their boat enough. But then again summer in Texas is really like 9 months out of the year so our odds of using it more should be higher, right?! I just don't know!
Next, we want to start a family soon so that can be looked at two ways. (1) It seems like now or never (or at least not for quite a while) and then we could enjoy the fun with our family. Why not do it now when we have the money? or (2) Is now a good/smart time for a boat if we want a family soon? I mean won't our time be even more limited and money even tighter? See our dilemma!
And just so I don't leave you on a sour note before you throw out your opinions, remember how much fun and nice a boat would be when we have visitors!!
So......what should we do???? Help us decide!!
![]() |
| We could watch the sunset from the boat! |

Ooh, that's a tough one! I'm all about buying something you enjoy that you'll use a lot, even if it's expensive, because you know you'll love it. But it's definitely a concern whether or not you'll use it enough.
ReplyDeleteI recommend the chart method. Not even kidding. Write the pros and cons down for each and look at them. It helps flesh out your thoughts.
Love the chart method - I seriously use it ALL the time!! Good idea!
DeleteCan you do a short-term lease of a boat, just to see how you like it? If it were me though - I'd just put in a pool. LOL. Good luck, Codi! :)
ReplyDeleteYes! Buy a boat! Then invite your awesome friend Jen to come play on it. :)
ReplyDeleteBoats are nice. Gas can add up but if you take friends out a lot, the friends usually help pitch in for the fun day they had. Storage, we paid $70 a month at Bulldog Storage off 1431 and it was covered. Usually you can sell it for pretty close to what you paid, just don't buy a new one. I forgot you wakeboard, I knew I loved you for several reasons but that adds to it, hehe. My kids love the boat. When Brennan was a baby, Chris and I would go out on Lake Travis and he loves cruising in the boat. Now he's knee boarding and skiing. Caden loves it. You just have to decide if yall want to spend the money and if you'll use it. In Austin it's even fun to cruise Lake Austin and eat at Hula Hut. That's a hard one. I have horrible buyer's remorse too so just don't beat yourself up if you take the plunge. Enjoy it. Let me know what ya'll decide. Miss you friend
ReplyDeleteLove it! You are very convincing...I think we'll do it!! Thank you!
DeleteI love your blogs! And, this one in particular, really makes me sad we don't live near water. Miss you guys and can't wait for your Dallas visit soon.
ReplyDeleteI grew up with a boat in our family and I will atest that it provided nice entertainment and great weekends at the lake. Our whole family loved it and everyone used it more often than not! Although it is an extra expense, if it fits and you both find one you like, I would say go for it! If you find that you don't use it as often as you thought or get tired of the up-keep, you can always sell it and keep your memories and boat ownership experience.
ReplyDelete